ASSC EARLY CAREER RESEARCHER TRAVEL AWARDS
The Australia Skin and Skin Cancer Research Centre has established travel grants to support early to mid-career researchers to present at a major international conference in the skin and skin cancer research field. The aim is to enhance the researcher’s professional development through valuable feedback from and engagement with colleagues.
The ASSC will commit up to 6 awards per year to support delivery of an oral presentation at an international conference. Travel awards will be funded with a maximum value of $3000 each. These funds can be used to support airfares, accommodation, and conference registration costs; it is expected that the recipient or funding body would cover any additional costs. The awards will be made on a competitive basis from the pool of candidates with an accepted abstract for oral presentation for the following conferences, or other conferences of similar standing:
- Society for Melanoma Research (SMR)
- Society for Investigative Dermatology (SID)
- European Society for Dermatological Research (ESDR)
- Japanese Society for Investigative Dermatology (JSID)
- American Academy of Dermatology (AAD)
- European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology (EADV)
- European Association of Dermato-Oncology (EADO)
Successful applicant must:
- Be staff (< 10 years of receiving MD or PhD) or student where the principal supervisor is at UQ or QIMR Berghofer (MPhil or PhD, after confirmation of candidature);
- Be conducting research in the skin and skin cancer field;
- Be accepted to give an oral presentation at the international conference.
APPLICATION & ASSESSMENT
The application to the scheme is online and must include the following:
- Track record: Current appointment and year PhD was conferred (or proof of enrolment for current PhD candidates), top 10 publications;
- Proof that an abstract has been accepted for oral presentation at a relevant conference;
- Letter of recommendation from principal supervisor.
Applications will be reviewed by the ASSC Awards Committee, and will include but is not limited to:
- Alignment with the aims and themes of the ASSC- visit assc.org.au for more information;
- Quality and originality of work;
- Standing of the conference;
- Track record, relative to opportunity.
Successful recipients are required to:
- Use the ASSC template slides for the presentation;
- Provide a list of three senior researchers they will engage during the conference to discuss their data;
- Supply a photograph taken at the meeting;
- Present the same work at the ASSC Annual Scientific Meeting.
- Applications open: Monday 2 October, 2023
- Applications close: Friday 24 November, 2023
For conferences that will occur between July 1 and December 31, 2023, apply for Round 2.