ASSC EARLY CAREER RESEARCHER CONFERENCE AWARDS
The Australia Skin and Skin Cancer Research Centre has established travel grants to support early career researchers to present at a conference in the skin and skin cancer research field. The aim is to enhance the researcher’s professional development through valuable feedback from and engagement with colleagues.
The ASSC will commit up to 6 awards per year to support delivery of an oral presentation at an international conference. These funds can be used to support airfares, accommodation, and conference registration costs; it is expected that the recipient or funding body would cover any additional costs. The awards will be made on a competitive basis from the pool of candidates with an accepted abstract for oral presentation for the following conferences, or other conferences of similar standing:
- Society for Melanoma Research (SMR)
- Society for Investigative Dermatology (SID)
- European Society for Dermatological Research (ESDR)
- Japanese Society for Investigative Dermatology (JSID)
- American Academy of Dermatology (AAD)
- European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology (EADV)
- European Association of Dermato-Oncology (EADO)
Successful applicant must:
- Be staff (< 10 years of receiving MD or PhD) or student of UQ or QIMR Berghofer (MPhil or PhD, after confirmation of candidature);
- Be conducting research in the skin and skin cancer field;
- Be the presenting author at an approved international conference.
APPLICATION & ASSESSMENT
The application to the scheme is online via the link below, and must include the following:
- Track record: include all publications (highlight top 5 and why they have been selected), all grants, mentoring, presentations, contribution to discipline;
- Proof that an abstract has been accepted for oral presentation at a relevant conference;
- Letter of recommendation from principal supervisor.
Applications will be reviewed by the ASSC Awards Committee, and will include but is not limited to:
- Alignment with the aims and themes of the ASSC- visit assc.org.au for more information;
- Quality and originality of work;
- Track record, relative to opportunity.
Successful recipients are required to:
- Use the ASSC template slides for the presentation;
- Provide a list of three senior researchers they will engage during the conference to discuss their data;
- Supply a photograph taken at the meeting;
- Present the same work at the ASSC annual scientific meeting;